If you have read my previous blogs, food preparation is a big part of my success to healthy eating, especially if you are a busy mom like me who has to cook for your family including packing their lunches. I usually would make one or two stew or slow cook dishes over the weekend as these dishes takes a little time to make, but they become more flavorful after a day or two in the fridge.
Last weekend I made some braised chicken with tomato sauce, but instead of using fresh tomatoes, I used sun dried tomatoes to intensify the flavors. I also added a little bit of pancetta. Adding a little bit of the cured meat gives a little smoky flavour to the dish. Pancetta is something I use occasionally and it’s a healthier swap for bacon. When you use pancetta to cook you will reduce the fat you use for your dish (as pancetta already has oil) and salt when you cook. It’s a lovely warm dish after a long day of work.
Braised Chicken with Sun dried tomatoes, olives and pancetta
Preperation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1.5kg of chicken pieces (you can use chicken breasts or thighs, or a combination of both), cut in big chunks
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped or 2 cans (about 800g) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup of Kalamata olives
- 1/4 of basil leaves
- 50g Sliced pancetta, cut into strip
1. Heat up the oil in a big heavy deep dish pan, cook the chicken in batches over medium heat until browned. Remove from the pan.
2. Add pancetta (if using), onion, garlic and capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, wine and olives. Return the chicken to pan, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked.Top with basil and serve.