It’s getting so hot in Hong Kong I have been going on salads on almost every meal now. But the weather also makes me want something spicy, so today I made a very popular Thai dish – Grounded chicken with Thai basil, or Larb Gai in Thai. My challenge for this dish is to make everything from scratch. i.e. no store bought sauces, including fish sauce. I even skipped salt in this recipe, but I have some home made chicken broth at home.
- 150 grounded chicken
- Long beans, cut into 1inch lengths
- Shallots, cilantro, Thai basil, fresh chillis, all shopped up
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- Cooked rice or vermicelli
- Stir fry grounded chicken. You can actually use beef or turkey in this dish too.
- When the chicken is cooked, add lime juice, shallots, cilantro, thai basil and chilli (fresh chilli or chilli powder).
- Add your choice of vegetables. I made some green beans as veggies. Spinach or morning glory would be nice too.
- Traditionally you should add fish sauce. I have skipped that to avoid the salt but it still taste good. If it’s too dry add a bit of broth. I like to leave it for an hour or two for the flavors to soak in.
- Serve at room temperature on a bed of rice or vermicelli.
Eat real food. Be creative and use more spices and herbs and see if you can challenge yourself cooking your food without any store bought sauces.