I found one trick to feel satisfied on a no carb meal is to fill yourself up with fibre and liquids. Hence soup is a great choice on a no carb dinner. Especially when you are exhausted from a long day of work, something warm and hearty will be more appealing than a chicken salad. I have been teaching in some evenings last week when I come home I just want something warm and hearty.
You can serve the soup as a side with your protein (and extra veg if you need), or you can serve the soup as a meal. I have made a few soups in the last few weeks. Thought I would share some ideas.
Easiest 5 minute soup. If I get good tomatoes I just use them raw.
- Put chopped up tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell peppers into the blender.
- Add red wine vinegar, spices like black pepper, oregano, coriander and blend them till smooth but not foamy.
- Sometimes I slightly cook the vegetables for a more roasted taste (especially onions and garlic they are sweeter after cooked).
- Add some chopped vegetables on top. Add avocados for a fuller meal.
Recipe for reference: Gazpacho minus the bread
Chunky Curried Broccoli Soup
- Stir fry broccoli, onions, carrots and garlic.
- Add spices like curry powder, cumin, paprika.
- Make some hot broth and add the vegetables into the broth.
- Separate the mixture into two batches. Blend half till smooth and blend the other half coarsely so you get some chunky vegetables. You need the fibre to keep you full.
Seafood Stew (Cioppino)
The best way to make this dish is use fish broth but you can use any broth you like.
- Heat up broth to boil. Then add chopped vegetables. I like to use carrots, onions and celery as they are sweet and can add a lot of flavors to the soup.
- Add oregano, thyme and a bit of canned crushed tomatoes (I use Waitrose which has no salt added).
- When it boils add your favorite seafood till cooked. White fish like halibut, snapper works best in this dish. Salmon will also work great. Or any other seafood like crab, shrimps, scallops, even shellfish).
Recipe for reference: Seafood Cioppino
Leftover Chicken Soup
Basically this is the soup from my home made chicken broth. Please click on the following link for recipe.
Recipe for reference: Homemade Chicken Soup
I take out all the meat from the chicken, reuse all the vegetables (carrots, celery, onions) and make it into a hearty chunky soup as a meal. Since I was reusing the chicken meat from the soup I used good quality meaty chicken. I used an organic Australian whole chicken in this. You can even add rice/pasta for a fuller meal.
All these soups can be kept in the fridge for a few days except for the fish stew. I have been serving these in the evening for my husband’s no carb meals. And for me, I either eat them with toasted baguettes or some brown rice to make it like a gumbo.