So I am half way through my 28 day “tighten up” program. The idea is to tighten up both my body AND my diet a little bit after the summer holidays. Here is one of my low carb meals favorite – Lettuce!
1. I am measuring my food grams and lettuce is light. 100g of lettuce you get a good plate, while you get one tomato for 100g.
2. It takes up space, so it fills up your plate and makes your dinner look less sad. (It is important for your mental mind!)
3. It is filling. And it’s crunchy and takes effort to chew.
4. Of course it’s yummy, healthy, and sweet!
5. Best of all, besides salads, I like to use them as wraps! Since you have to do the wrap yourself your dinner becomes more fun and it also makes you eat slowly and distract you from your small meal portion.
Seafood ceviche duo, guacamole, lettuce wraps/ tortilla chips
Sashimi grade lean tuna with spring onions, shallots and ginger and lime juice
Sashimi grade scallops with cilantro, tomatoes, avocados and lime juice
Chop everything up, marinate for an hour and ready to serve. For no carb-er, wrap with lettuce. For a carb meal, serve with home made tortilla chips. Cut flour or corn tortillas (I use whole wheat tortillas) into 8 wedges to make tortilla chips. You can add spices like paprika, coriander and lime. Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes or until crispy. I also made some guacamole to go with this meal.
Vietnamese lettuce wraps (Bun Thit/ Goi Cuon variations)
You can use any grounded meat with this dish. Chicken, turkey or beef. Stir fry them, added your favorite spices. Leave out to cool. Add your favorite shredded and chopped vegetables. Tomatoes, carrots, onions, cucumbers, red chillies, cilantro, etc. Squeeze lime on top. You can add a bit of agave nectar if you like. Serve at room temperature with lettuce wrap. For a carb meal, serve on top of chilled rice vermicelli or wrap in rice paper rolls., even with rice. To make the vietnamese dipping sauce ( nuoc cham), traditionally it uses fish sauce and sugar. To make a healthier version, I can use lime juice, water, coconut nectar (or raw honey) and chillies. But for me I think the dish is good enough even without the sauce.
Great spring/summer dishes!Let us wrap!!